To supplement learning or to revise tricky topics, children and teachers can add extra work in topics they'd like to practise. These are known as an Extras.
Adding Extras into one or more pupils' work programmes is a great way to support your scheme of teaching or to support any weaker areas of understanding.
Teachers can add Extras from a vast selection that Doodle has already created, or they can create their own!
How to add an Extra in the Learning Zone
Teachers or pupils over the age of twelve can assign themselves an Extra from the Learning Zone in any of the Doodle programmes. To do this:
- Log in to Doodle
- From the Learning Zone, press the red Add an Extra icon
- Type in a topic and follow the in-app instructions; the Extra will then appear in the Learning Zone as an icon called Extra
How to add Extras from the Teacher Dashboard
Teachers can add Extras for one or more pupils by visiting the Teacher Dashboard.
- Log in to the Teacher Dashboard
- Hover over Extras and select Assign
- Search for the relevant ARE in the search box or scroll through the selection
- Click on the blue arrow to the left of the ARE title to view which lessons are available
- Click on Add next to the lesson you'd like to set
- Select when the Extra will become available and which pupils you'd like to receive the Extra
- Press Add
Please note: Extras will take priority over other work exercises and other features, including games, will be locked until a child has completed the Extra.
Adding Extras to revise or fills gaps in knowledge
You can easily identify areas of weaker understanding and add extra work in these topics. There are two ways to do this:
- To add an extra in an ARE area they have already covered:
- Select Analyse > Gaps
- Select their class and ensure Students is selected at the top of the page. Select the student you wish to add the extra to on the left hand side of the page. Their name will then turn from light blue to dark blue to show they have been selected.
- Click on the arrow to left of the ARE to expand that topic, then click on the add sign in order to add an extra in that area.
2. To add an extra in an ARE area they haven't already covered:
- Select Analyse > Gaps > select the class and ensure ARE is selected at the top of the page.
- You can then choose the year, ARE area and specific ARE and select Apply. Once you have done this, boxes will appear next to the students' names. To add to the extra for that student tick the both and then select Add Extra which will then appear at the top of the page.
- You will then be prompted to select which topic from this ARE you would like to add as an extra to that child's account.
How to create your own Extra
If you'd like to create your own set of extra exercises, you can! To do this:
- Hover over Extras and select Custom
- Click on the Create an Extra button
- Type in a lesson title, year group and description
- Add your questions, putting the correct answer in answer A (this will be randomised once published)
- Once you have finished, press Save
- Click on the Extra to assign it to pupils, delete it or share it with your colleagues